PADI Diving Instructor Development Course
Why waste more time doing something you don't like when you could be a Dive Instructor. Life's too short and there is a rewarding career for you just around the corner.
What is being a "Dive Instructor" all about? Is it about the people or the water? Why would you choose it as a career? Is it a lifestyle choice? Being a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor is about all of these things and more.
Every day you go to work as an Instructor you are rewarded for your abilities and skills as teacher and informer. Students of all ages and all nationalities will enter your classroom looking forward to learning the skills and knowledge you are about to provide them with. What you teach them will enable them to enjoy their new chosen hobby for the rest of their lives.
Becoming a Dive Instructor also allows you get out of the 9-5 grind and into an environment that is surrounded by colour, beauty and diversity. You can work across the globe and get paid to do what you love doing. Going Diving!
Pro Dive Cairns Instructor Development Course (IDC) is a two-week program designed to make you the best PADI Dive Instructor possible. We have a very high candidate success rate as well as a reputation for producing well trained Dive Instructors. The course is taught by Alex Van Welderen who is our experienced, award winning, staff Course Director. The program includes a mixture of academic modules, pool training and two days of ocean diving on a Great Barrier Reef island.
After the IDC we highly recommend an extra 2 day program called the IDC Plus. This is a course designed by Pro Dive and is unique to our IDC training program. It offers additional training in classroom and pool presentation techniques that prepare you for the Instructor Evaluation (IE) exam.
During the IDC program we also run an "equipment/equipment sales" course. You also have the opportunity to further your education by completing the Emergency First Response Instructor Course or other specialities. These can be done before or after your IE.
Becoming a dive instructor enriches your life. You are guaranteed personal satisfaction as you help other people achieve something that they thought was out of their reach and beyond their comfort zone.
You will need to have the following materials prior to your course commencement as per PADI requirement:
- PADI Open Water Manual
- PADI Adventure in Diving
- PADI Rescue Diver Manual
- PADI Divemaster Manual
- Diving Knowledge work book
- Encyclopaedia of Recreational Diving
- Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet*
- Rescue Diver Final Exam booklet*
- Divemaster Final Exam booklet*
- Specialty Course Instructor manual*
- IDC Guide to Teaching*
- Aquatic Cue Cards for Open Water Diver, Adventures in Diving, Rescue Diver, Divemaster and Discover Scuba diving*
- Instructor Manual
- Recreational Dive Planner Table and eRDPml
- IDC Planning slate for OW and CW*
* part of the IDC crew pack
As a Dive professional it is expected that you have your own tools (dive equipment). If you don't already own your own equipment our Course Director can advise you on equipment selection and any you will be able to take advantage of our competitive discounted industry rates. Rental equipment is available if required.
For the IE (examination) it is required that you have a full set of Scuba Equipment including Alternate Air Source, Safety Equipment (Knife, Whistle, Safety Sausage) and a Rescue Pocket Mask. (as per PADI standards)
- Student Kit
- Air fills and pool fees
- 2 x day trips to Fitzroy Island
- Dive insurance
- Professional tuition, counselling and career advice
- Morning/afternoon teas whilst in classroom
- Professional Instructor briefcase, containing all stationary required for teaching.
- Passport photos
- PADI Fees and charges. (Approximately A$1132. Includes the IDC application and the IE fee as per PADI price list)
- Environmental Management Charges, levies, boat transfer costs and the hire of tanks and weights for the IE (Approximately A$80)
IDC candidates must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have been a certified diver for at least 6 months
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster, PADI Assistant Instructor or equivalent qualifying rating.
- Have a current medical less than 12 months old
- Have a current First Aid certificate less than 24 months old (Can be arranged by Pro Dive if required)
- Show proof of a minimum of 100 logged dives
- Be a current PADI member
- Have all required diving equipment
- Have all books requested by the Course Director ( as per above list)
- Submit copies of all Dive Certificates (both sides)
The full deposit of A$395 will be forfeited if a cancellation is made less than one week prior to course commencement date.